Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"Cancerversary" is a Word!

Yep - it's a real word and now part of my vocabulary! Two years ago today I heard the diagnosis, "You have lymphoma." In some ways it all seems surreal. Did I really have cancer? The dreaded "c" word? Well, I did... and I'm better because of it. 

Isn't it crazy how God orchestrates even the tiniest details of reading a particular devotion on a particular day to impact the meaning? I'm reading through Blackaby's Experiencing God Day by Day, and two readings this week focused on Hebrews 5:7-9 and suffering.  
During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him...

Jesus prayed "with loud cries and tears" to be spared from death.
  • Been there, done that. 

Jesus "learned obedience from what he suffered."
  • Still learning.

Jesus' suffering made Him perfect.
  • Am I willing to suffer to become like Christ?

I'm sure I've read these verses many times, but I've never paid attention to how they guide my response to suffering - (the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship). And to be clear, I don't consider my journey as much suffering as just a "bump in the road" (to quote my sweet friend Linda Shedd). All in all, I've had it fairly easy.

My devotion explained that "God will always relate to me out of the context of His love for a lost world." It's not all about me. It's about God and His kingdom. I'm thankful for what I've learned and how my faith has grown during the past two years. 

With mixed emotions I welcome my "cancerversary" as an opportunity to reflect on how God is refining me and giving me purpose! I pray I will be a powerful testimony for Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment