Sunday, January 11, 2015

Truth 1.1 --- Jeremiah 29:11

In a previous post I talked about a group called Documented Faith where we are challenged with a word each month and then a verse each week to go along with the monthly word. It's designed as a way to artistically journal or "document" your faith journey for the year. While I love seeing everyone's artwork, I don't have the time - or the talent - to do all the drawing, coloring, painting, etc like some others. But, I'm going to try to be FAITHFUL (read about my year word here) in my Bible study of the verses!

The word for January is TRUTH, and the first verse is Jeremiah 29:11. 

This has been a favorite verse of mine since college. In fact, it was read at my candlelight - they way our dorm announced an engagement! I admit I just liked the verse without really knowing anything about it. I mean, who doesn't like knowing there's a plan for our GOOD!!! This past week I've been looking at the verse in context, and I like it even more!

It's part of Jeremiah's letter to the exiles in Babylon basically encouraging them to "keep on keeping on." To get the whole impact of verse 11, you have to back to verse 10.

This is what the LORD says: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.

70 years!!! Not tomorrow or the next day, but 70 years for the gracious promise to be fulfilled! That's longer than some people's lifetime!

Suddenly, verse 11 is a big picture kind of verse. God knows the plan for His people. It's His plan, and it's for our good... to give us HOPE and a future.

Don't you love that!!!

It doesn't mean we'll be healthy, wealthy, and wise. It doesn't mean we won't have hard times. In fact, maybe it won't be until eternity for the fulfillment of His gracious promise, but it WILL be fulfilled! That is an awesome TRUTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment