Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Comfort

One of my goals since cancer is finding ways to use it for good... finding my purpose. So if I can educate, encourage, and glorify God, I'm on board. And there are things about me now that are so much better than before.

Yesterday I had an appointment to have my port flushed. I would love to be a volunteer at Tulsa Cancer Institute, but living 70+ miles away makes that impossible. Sometimes I feel like I'm not DOING anything. But while walking across the parking lot, it hit me that maybe my role is to encourage those with whom I have some kind of personal connection. I don't have to be part of an organized group to have a purpose.

Before cancer, I had little desire to visit anyone in the hospital. I felt like I didn't know what to say, what to do, or how to act. I would be terrified and do whatever I could to avoid uncomfortable situations. But after my appointment yesterday, I visited a friend in the hospital who has just been diagnosed with leukemia. And I went all by myself! That may not seem like much, but the fact that I wasn't intimidated, apprehensive, or a nervous wreck is huge! 

I realized I don't have to worry about saying the right words or not saying the wrong words. I just need to be available when and where God wants me. He will show me how to...

"...comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."
~ 2 Corinthians 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment