Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Getting Out of My Funk

Do you ever find yourself in a funk and don't really know why? That's where I am right now... and have been for a couple of weeks. I've thought about some possibilities:

Are we still adjusting to our growing pains? Maybe

Could it be hormonal from my chemo-induced menopause? Possibly

Am I concerned about my blood work and check up with my oncologist at the end of the month? Probably

Am I stressed about finances with two kids in college, two kids needing braces, and upcoming medical bills? Of course

Have I neglected quiet time with God? Definitely

So, what am I going to do about my funk? A friend added me to a Facebook group called Journaling Bible Community. Wow! It's a whole new concept (at least to me) of studying the Word and worshiping God using art, doodles, and writing ON, yes, ON the pages of your Bible. WHAT! Drawing in my Bible???

If you google Journaling Bible, you will be amazed at what people are adding to the pages of their Bibles and journals. I've seen some incredible artwork! Well, I'm not an artist (which is why I love stamping), but I'm intrigued by the whole process. It has already helped me stay focused on God's Word - one verse at a time.

My first project was Romans 12:12 in a Life Application Bible that I snagged for FREE. The margins are not as big as in a journaling or note taking Bible, but it's a great place to start. Plus I've always wanted a Life Application Bible!

I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to projects like this. Not that I do anything perfect, but I might NOT do something if I think I won't do it just right. Plus I'm married to a graphic artist, so no pressure - HA! Anyway, I started with ink and stamps on a separate piece of paper that I could tape in the Bible over the commentary part. It lifts up to show my journaling on the back about how this verse is meaningful to me. I won't say how many times I started over...




This is helping me memorize verses AND where they are found. I stamped a hand print and made notes to mark the verses I used about the hand of God (here). It's helping me think outside the box as far as making notes and/or pictures in my Bible. I'm more visual than auditory, so this method of study and expression fits me. It's a form of worship to God as well as calming to me. 

So to get out of my funk, I'm focusing on the theme verse for in the GAP - Psalm 29:11.

The Lord gives STRENGTH to His people;
The Lord blesses His people with PEACE.

It's easy for me to use this verse to encourage others, and now I have a visual for me. I didn't worry about my lack of artistic abilities. I used colors that are meaningful to me (lime and purple are lymphoma awareness colors) and had fun trying freehand letters! And the whole time I was working on it, I was focusing on God's promise. 

It's not a competition on who illustrates the best.

It's not about how many "likes" one of my pictures receives.

It's not about me. 
 
That's how I get out of my funk - FOCUS ON GOD!



No comments:

Post a Comment