Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Growing Pains

Growing pains are just that... painful. In the middle of them, it's hard to recognize that without the pain, there is no growth. In the middle of them, it's just plain hard!

Jenifer and Jayce

After taking our second daughter to college this past weekend, I realized our family is in a season of growing pains. The youngest is starting Jr. High (no way)... one is in high school ('nuff said)... one is just starting college (sniff)... and the oldest who is trying to make it on her own (sigh). And that's just the kids! As parents, we get to experience ALL of their growing pains as well as our own! 

I've never been an athlete, but since going through cancer and recovering from chemo, I have come to believe the motto "no pain, no gain." 

Without the pain of treatment, you can't have healing. 

Without the pain of exercise, you can't regain your strength. 

Without the pain of training, you can't run a 5K (yes, this non-athlete has completed three 5K runs... since cancer)!

But more importantly, without the pain of heartbreak, you can't experience the tender hand of God putting the pieces back together.

That's what I pray my kids will experience during their times of growing pains - the tender hand of God that...

  • is mighty and majestic in power - Exodus 15:6; I Kings 8:42
  • covers us - Exodus 33:22
  • upholds us - Psalm 37:24; 63:8
  • guides us - Psalm 139:10
  • satisfies our desires - Psalm 145:16
  • holds our right hand - Isaiah 41:13
  • laid the foundation of the earth - Isaiah 48:13
  • has us engraved on the palm - Isaiah 49:16
  • keeps us secure - John 10:28


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
~ Isaiah 41:10 

linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment