Monday, September 1, 2014

Why I Walk...

There's always confusion and mixed feelings when it comes to fundraising. I hate asking for money, and people want to know where their money is going. So, let me explain...

TEAM TERRI's participation in the Light the Night Walk is NOT a fundraiser for us personally. All proceeds from the Light the Night Walk go to the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to help advance their mission:  to CURE leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.

Here's a graphic showing how funds are used by LLS.



As a blood cancer patient, LLS has personally been a benefit to me through:

Educational Materials


LLS has materials for each specific type of blood cancer. It's been my "go-to" place for information on my two types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. In fact, it's where I learned my Stage 3 diagnosis didn't necessarily mean the same as other Stage 3 cancers. Whew! The internet can be a scary place when looking up cancer. LLS is a reputable source with helpful information for my specific type of cancer. They also offer seminars (on-line and locally), forums, and on-line chats and webinars.

Co-Pay Assistance Program


I was able to qualify for the Co-Pay Assistance Program that reimburses me for co-pays during treatment and follow-up. It also reimburses part of my insurance premiums. That has been a huge help considering we drove over 2000 miles for appointments, scans, and chemo last year... not to mention paying for those appointments, scans, and chemo :)


Government Advocacy


LLS has an advocacy group that works on behalf of cancer patients from the local to national level. They make it easy for others to be involved by providing links with e-mails already composed ready for us to hit send.

Light the Night Walk


The Light the Night Walk is a special evening that honors patients and survivors, caregivers, and those who have lost their battle to blood cancer. Our family represents all three groups - me as a survivor (white lantern), my family as excellent caregivers (red lantern), and in memory of my husband's grandmother who passed away from lymphoma before targeted therapies were developed (gold lantern). This year we're also walking in honor of my father-in-law who was recently diagnosed with multiple myleoma. The walk is very personal for our family!

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH


I love the truth of this picture...




The outcome of my therapy may have been totally different if not for the development of Rituxan - a targeted therapy that has been available for only 20 years. Without funding, there is no research. Without research, there aren't as many survival stories. In fact, 40 years ago, there was only a 3% chance of surviving childhood leukemia. Today, 90% of children with leukemia survive! Amazing!

So... that's why we participate in the Light the Night Walk and give to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. We'd love for you to support TEAM TERRI as we walk to the end of blood cancer.

  • You can join our team and raise funds with us here.
  • You can donate to our team here.
  • You can order coffee from Just Love Coffee where a portion of proceeds goes to TEAM TERRI here.  


Thank you for your support!


DISCLAIMER: It is my understanding that LLS only uses medical waste for embryonic stem cell research. I have contacted LLS and am waiting on an official statement. I will post a follow-up.

UPDATE FROM LLS: "Currently, no LLS-­‐funded researcher is studying human embryonic stem (ES) cells." 

Please contact me for a copy of the letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment