Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Beginning...

Our journey started when my mom noticed a lump above my collarbone on Christmas Eve day 2012. I don't know how long it had been there, but it was there! I visited my doctor on January 3, 2013 who referred me to my surgeon. I visited my surgeon on January 8th for a needle biopsy. He called me on January 11th to say the results were inconclusive and that I would need to have a lymph node removed for biopsy. He hoped to find a node to remove from under my arm instead of having to remove the one from my neck.

Surgery was January 18th - the node under my arm did not give adequate results, so he had to remove the almost 4 cm lymph node from above my collarbone. He also had a bone marrow biopsy done at the same time.

Now we waited...and waited... It was probably the hardest time as that's when I started asking all the What If's...

What if it's cancer?
What if it's all over my body?
What if there's no treatment?
What if my kids have to finish growing up without their mother?
What if my husband is a soon-to-be widower?

We finally got biopsy results on January 28th - 10 days of waiting to hear the word LYMPHOMA.

Thankfully the node under my arm was clear as well as the bone marrow. But now we had another week to wait before meeting with the oncologist...

The "What If" game is not fun. With God's help, I was able to start looking at the positive. I was beginning to learn a whole new dependence on and surrender to Him!

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
~Romans 12:12

No comments:

Post a Comment