Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chemo #2

Same song... second verse... It was more waiting - port accessed and blood drawn, back to waiting room, vitals with nurse and visit with NP, back to waiting room, and finally chemo. My meds were all the same except cutting back on the Vincristine. It's probably what caused my jaw pain (neuropathy), so hopefully I won't have that problem this time. It figures that the jaw pain affects only about 3%... Lucky me! This time the Rituxan could be pushed a little faster, and I didn't have a reaction. That meant no extra Benadryl or Solu-medrol. Yay! The total time in the chair was 4 1/2 hours, which was 2 1/2 hours LESS than the first time!!!


The #2 sign is for the second round of chemo and to match the peace sign bandana that my son gave me for my birthday. Yes, I'm wearing the same thing as for my first round - it's comfy with easy access my port. Plus, not everything matches lime green :)

The chemo room is a big rectangle with three semi-circles of nine recliners each (no privacy). Well, not all recliners are created equal (notice the tan chair behind the IV), and I had scoped out which one I wanted. I had it to begin with when they accessed my port and drew blood, but after seeing the NP and getting back to the chemo room, that chair was taken. It looked like the guy was there just to get blood drawn, which meant he'd be leaving. So I explained to the nurse how I really wanted that chair, and she unhooked the IV bags and helped me move! I figured if I'm there for a good part of the day, I want the good chair. I felt like we were scoping out a table at the food court and pouncing before the previous people finished standing up - HA!

My blood counts were good - hemoglobin and white blood count had dropped a little but were still within normal range to go ahead and have chemo. I actually gained three pounds, which is exciting since I had lost at least five pounds after surgery. I've added simethicone (Gas-X) to my arsenal that should help with the indigestion and abdominal pain I was having. Thankfully this past week was symptom free!!! It will be interesting to see how things go after this round. 

So... 2 down and 4 to go!!!

Hair update:

On Saturday my buzz cut was shedding quite a bit. I looked like an old balding man! I used the clippers without an attachment, but it just left rough stubble all over. Ewww. So Daryl helped me with what he uses to shave his head, and we got it fairly smooth. What a guy!!! 

And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
~ Matthew 10:30

I'm thankful that God knows the number of hairs that will eventually grow back when this is all over!

Again, we are so thankful for those who are praying for us. Your prayers are definitely felt and are a huge blessing!!! Thank you for being on this journey with us!

So do not fear, for I am with you;  
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; 

I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
~ Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment