Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kick Cancer's Butt

The day I received my "welcome packet" from Tulsa Cancer Institute was like a punch in the gut. I was literally sick! But once I got over the shock, I was determined to kick cancer's butt!!! This was not a death sentence and not the end of the world.

Nothing ahead of you is bigger or stronger than the power of God behind you.

We were ready to meet with the oncologist and get treatment started. On February 5th we found out I have non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - involving the B-cell as well as follicular. He said they would treat both as one entity. He was hopeful we caught it early since I didn't have any other symptoms, family history, etc. When talking about treatment, he said my hair WOULD fall out. He gave me a time line, so we were prepared to go wig shopping and schedule when we'd shave my head.

My Power Port (for administration of chemo) was placed February 12th - which the kids lovingly refer to it as my "twin" - aren't they funny! The next step was an echocardiogram (to make sure my heart was healthy enough for the chemo) and a PET scan to be able to stage the lymphoma. More waiting...

"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
~ 2 Corinthians 12:9

The echocardiogram was fine, and after having to reschedule the PET scan, we finally got it done. The affected lymph nodes are down my mid-section, and because they are above and below my diaphragm, it's considered Stage 3. At first I was kind of freaking out...but then learned that lymphoma staging is not the same as other cancers. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has great information (lls.org).


 

Our next appointment was chemo orientation with the Nurse Practitioner. She went through the "blue book" with us that explained the chemo drugs and possible side effects. She said, "We're treating aggressively for a CURE!" That's good enough for us! LET'S DO THIS!

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.
~Jeremiah 17:7




No comments:

Post a Comment