Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Survivor AND Overcomer

I was honored to be invited to speak again for the ladies group at First Christian Church in Siloam Springs, AR like I did last year (HERE).  When thinking about my talk, I was drawn to the topic of being an OVERCOMER.

Mandisa’s song OVERCOMER really hits home – especially when watching her video that highlights cancer patients. And isn’t it fun to see how God cements things by repetition??? I just started reading the book of Revelation – which has always intimidated me. Yet God gave me encouragement to continue through the book when I read the OVERCOMER promises to the seven churches in chapters 2 and 3.

2:7 – To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

2:11 – He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

2:17 – To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

2:16 – To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations... I will also give him the morning star.

3:5 – He who overcomes will... be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

3:12 – Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

3:21 – To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on His throne.

Wow! I want to be an overcomer and receive those blessings!

And more repetition on this theme... Last week Mandisa had this status on her Facebook page: When we walk by faith - not by sight - we are Overcomers. When we believe what our Heavenly Father says about us, what Jesus says we can do, and what the Holy Spirit Himself will do through us, we are Overcomers. We don’t have to rely on our strength alone. Our mighty Deliverer fights our battles. Our job is to stay close to Him and let Him do what only He can!

Then I saw this artwork with a quote by Wendy Blight from Proverbs 31 Ministries:  

 

I definitely want to be an OVERCOMER! In fact, I want to have a powerful testimony as an overcomer in addition to being a cancer survivor. Although I love my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society shirt that says SURVIVOR across that back, I think being an overcomer is so much more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment