Sunday, April 20, 2014

Not Your Typical Testimony

...at least not what I used to think was a typical testimony. I basically grew up in church. Seriously! I hardly remember missing a Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday, or any other day there was something at church. Even when we visited my grandparents' church, I got an attendance postcard to take back to my Sunday School class to get my perfect attendance sticker!

So, when I was at camp or other youth events (and even as an adult), I never felt like I had a real testimony. I didn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I didn't think I had anything to talk about since I didn't have a big emotional then and now story. In fact, I almost hated listening to testimonies and was somewhat embarrassed about my goody-goody life.

Fast forward to now. My cancer journey has shown me I've had a testimony all along. I now have a better understanding and appreciation of God's gift of salvation. A testimony shouldn't have anything to do with how "bad" we were before accepting God's gift. We are ALL sinners and lost without Him (Romans 3:23). I was just as lost as those with "wow" testimonies. Thankfully, God made a way of salvation through the death, burial, and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ! 

* * * * *

I had typed up this blog post weeks ago and forgot about it. I think it's fitting that I "found" it on Easter. Dealing with a potentially life-threatening illness puts things in perspective. My salvation and promise of heaven are far more precious to me now! I'm so thankful that death is defeated and JESUS IS ALIVE!

He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.
~ Matthew 28:6

No comments:

Post a Comment