Friday, October 25, 2013

Amazing Night

We want to thank everyone who donated to TEAM TERRI for the Light the Night Walk and helped us walk to the end of blood cancer! You can read more about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Walks in my previous post here. We've been raising money, Daryl designed t-shirts for us, and my mother-in-law and her sister joined us from Illinois! It was a special night! 

As usual for our outings, we got lost on the way to the Walk. I just tell my family we're making memories! We eventually made it - on time - and began by checking in, getting our Light the Night t-shirts and lanterns (for those raising $100), and taking a team photo.

Team Terri
I was so excited that my Light the Night t-shirt says SURVIVOR on the back! Woo Hoo!!! I carried a white lantern as a survivor, Daryl carried a red lantern for the family as a supporter, and my mother-in-law carried a gold lantern in memory of her mother who passed away from lymphoma. It was so pretty seeing all the illuminated lanterns as we walked.

Before the walk started, those with each color of lanterns were recognized (survivors, supporters, and in memory). I'll admit, it was a bit emotional to reflect on this journey and celebrate where we are now!

Recognizing survivors
The walk started at the Jenks Aquarium, went across the Arkansas River bridge, and back through the Aquarium parking lot. The weather was perfect, and it was a fun family walk. We can't wait to participate again next year and are already thinking of ways to recruit more people for our team and raise more money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and research!

Purple in memory of my friend's daughter
On the bridge
On our way home we stopped at Braum's for a treat. The kids wanted food, so we ordered theirs, and as they were getting situated, Daryl and I got in line for ice cream. While we were waiting, a lady went up to the cashier and whispered something, but I didn't think much about it. Then when we tried to pay, the cashier said our order had been taken care of already. WHAT! After getting over the initial confusion, I thought of the lady I saw whispering earlier. As we walked to our table, I mouthed "thank you" to her and tried to hold back the tears. That was just icing on the cake of our amazing night!

We are so grateful for those who have blessed us on this journey and supported us on our Light the Night Walk! We couldn't do it without you!

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.
~ Matthew 18:20

 

No comments:

Post a Comment