Monday, March 31, 2014

Burn the Plows...

...and Eat the Cows!

No, I didn't come up with that, our pastor did. Clever, huh!

Sunday's sermon was an introduction to the life of Elisha. 2 Kings 19:19-21 tells how Elijah found Elisha and threw his cloak around him as his calling. Elisha was all in. He went home and threw a big good-bye party. He burned the plows and ate the cows! "Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his attendant."

Elisha was ordinary, faithful, and obedient. He literally burned up his back-up plan (plow and cows) and followed Elijah. Total commitment. No turning back. A leap of faith.



This sermon went along with what I've been thinking concerning my own purpose in ministry. Part of me feels my cancer journey is the beginning of a new calling or ministry. Not necessarily a new vocation, but using my experience in a more organized way. I'm just not sure what. My oldest daughter has had some good ideas, and I've been praying that God will show me what He wants me to do.

The songs we sang Sunday also spoke to me... or more like they were my prayer to God. We sang a favorite hymn (I Surrender All) and a favorite contemporary song (The Stand). So, I'll keep doing what I'm doing now - with all my heart as unto the Lord - and stay ready and willing for however God wants to use me. That's a little bit scary, because the last time I prayed that way I ended up with cancer - HA! But He's made it all work together for good and for His glory!

I love this song!!!

You stood before creation
Eternity within Your hand
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
Carried the Cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to You

So I'll walk upon salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
This life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours


~ The Stand recorded by Kristian Stanfill





No comments:

Post a Comment