Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My Husband's Perspective

I'm so thankful for my husband's insight and perspective throughout our journey. This is what he posted on Facebook marking the anniversary of the beginning...


It's been a year. One year ago today in fact. Christmas Eve 2012. It started out as just another Christmas Eve, but ended with a sense of worry and confusion.

One year ago today is when Terri's mom noticed the strange bump on Terri's neck.

The next couple of months were filled with what seemed like unending trips to Tulsa for doctor's visits, scans, biopsies, and surgeries. Days of waiting for results, and then finding out the news we were hoping not to hear…Terri has cancer...non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

We've learned a lot this past year. We've truly learned to cherish each moment we have with each other, our kids, our family and friends. Things like that happen when you're faced with your own mortality.

We've learned we don't know what the future holds…none of us do.

A verse I posted a few weeks ago has never been more "real"... more "alive" to us.

And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
—2 Corinthians 12:9,10 (NASB)


We've also learned from friends who modeled how to handle a battle lost to cancer with faith, dignity, strength, and grace. It seems strange dealing with what we were dealing with and still feel like you don't know the words to say to others. Thank God we have His Spirit to confide in when the the words fail us.

We've grown closer as a family. Our trust in God has been stretched like never before, but never broken. We have been blessed like never before.

Thanks to all of you who have prayed with us and for us. Thanks to friends for providing meals and for shuttling our kids to and fro when we couldn't be there. Thanks for the hugs!

In a week (Monday Dec. 30) Terri goes back for another CT scan. A week after that (Tuesday Jan 7) we go back to Terri's oncologist for the results. Would you shower us with your prayers once more?

May God bless you all. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
—Galatians 2:20 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment