Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sing a Psalm of Praise

After posting my Thankful Day #23 on Facebook about being thankful for the book of Psalms and my new perspective of God as my refuge, I've been thinking about how the Psalms have just as much relevance in my life today as when I was first diagnosed with cancer.

Shortly after being diagnosed, I began reading a Psalm a day and posting at least one verse from each Psalm as my Facebook status. It was so therapeutic for me to read the parallels of David's battle (against enemies) and my battle (against cancer) and to be reminded of God's love and care for David...and me! 

Today I realize that God uses His Word to comfort us in our struggles everyday no matter the situation - watching the discouraging news from around the world... conflict with people around us... or any doubt and fear.

I didn't pay too much attention to the book of Psalms before January 2013 except for the familiar passages: 

Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd... I memorized this in Whirlybirds as a kid.

Psalm 100 - Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth... Can you believe I memorized this in public school???

Psalm 119 - Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet... Remember the Amy Grant song?

Psalm 139 - I am fearfully and wonderfully made...

When I began reading through the Psalms daily, I was amazed at how it seemed to be so applicable to ME! I didn't have people trying to kill me like David, but cancer is still a very real enemy. God's promises brought me so much comfort during a scary time. I love all the reminders of God as my:


Shield
Protection
Strength
Rock
Salvation
Stronghold
Shepherd
Light
Help
Refuge
Fortress
Portion
Wow! What do I have to fear when God is with me??? 

And there are so many verses that lead us to give thanks to the Lord, praise His name, tell of His wonders, be glad and rejoice in Him, and taste and see that He is good. How can we read this wonderful book and not have a great appreciation for who God is and what He does for us!!!

The Lord is my light and my salvation -
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life -
of whom shall I be afraid?
~ Psalm 27:1

No comments:

Post a Comment